SHELTER FROM TURKISH INVASIONS
Medieval defensive wall
The defensive wall or often called “the Chinese wall” on the peninsula of Oštrica was built in 1497. The construction of the wall constructed for protection from the frequent Turkish attacks was financially supported by the Venetian doge Agostino Barbarigo. The wall extends from one side of the Oštrica peninsula to the other one and it is 6-9 m high and 60-80 cm wide.
Originally it was used as a shelter from Turkish invasions, afterwards as a quarantine for those sick of plague. During the 17th century the Turkish danger diminished, so the defensive wall as one of two defensive Venetian fortifications lost its importance. Later the inhabitants of Grebaštica used the wall as a shelter from the pirate attacks done by British ships passing, and the complete function the whole construction lost in the first half of the 19th century.
Today the wall is considered the main symbol of the settlement, and the peninsula of Grebaštica is, besides the fortification, known for the habitat of moufflons living there.